Earth Charter South
Caring for People and Planet
“At a time when major changes in how we think and live are urgently needed, the Earth Charter challenges us to examine our values and to choose a better way.” *
The Earth Charter South group has been established by representatives of local environmental organisations in response to the need for a broad-based and co-ordinated approach to tackling our current escalating environmental and societal problems. The aim of the group is not only to raise awareness of these environmental and social issues but to provide a positive road map of integrated solutions based on the principles of The Earth Charter, which if adopted will lead to a much more peaceful, inclusive, ethical and sustainable society.
- We will strive to promote the principles of the Earth Charter, summarized by the Preamble:
- “We stand at a critical moment in Earth’s history, a time when humanity must choose its future. As the world becomes increasingly interdependent and fragile, the future holds at once great peril and great promise. To move forward we must recognise that in the midst of a magnificent diversity of cultures and life forms, we are one human family, and one Earth community with a common destiny. We must join together to bring forth a sustainable global society founded on respect for nature, universal human rights, economic justice and a culture of peace. Towards this end, it is imperative that we, the peoples of Earth, declare our responsibility to one another, to the greater community of life, and to future generations”.
- We will always be mindful that caring for the planet and for people are not discrete actions but arise out of the same drive to secure sustainability and recognition of our symbiotic relationship.
- We will seek to encourage the empowerment of young people, as a moral duty.
- We will seek to work with all like-minded groups who are already working wholly or separately for the good of the environment and/or the good of mankind. In particular, we will recognize that, in contrast to Nature, which thrives (as the Preamble states) in a ”magnificent diversity of cultures and lifeforms”, we humans have distorted this process and converted it into aggressive divisiveness, to such an extent it is embedded in our DNA. Accordingly, Earth Charter South will seek to bring together, and co-operate with, like-minded organisations and activities.